AREAS OF EXPERTISE
DOWNLOAD / PRINT
Ms. Yip’s practice is focused on commercial real estate. She has been extensively involved in acquisitions and sales, development, rezoning and permit approvals, commercial leasing, real estate financing and clean power projects.
- Acting for the master developer of the UniverCity Community at Simon Fraser University, an award-winning sustainable community;
- Acting for purchasers and vendors of development sites, including land assemblies;
- Development of different types of projects including:
• master-planned communities
• shopping centres
• office buildings
• office parks
• resort properties
• educational, recreational and other non-profit institutions, such as universities, schools, daycares and parks;
- Acting for major developers of condominium projects, including phased and mixed-use (including airspace) projects;
- Extensive dealings with many local governments in British Columbia, including urban and rural communities. Ms. Yip is experienced in the rezoning and approval process and has good relationships with staff in many municipalities. She regularly advises clients on problem-solving with local governments;
- Acting for national U.S. timeshare operators in registration, compliance and acquisitions;
- Acting for commercial landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of leases;
- Acting for borrowers in financings for income properties and condominium developments;
- Acting for commercial lenders in various lending transactions;
- Acting for the purchaser of major hotels; and
- Acquisition, development and financing of renewable power projects including run of river, wind and biomass, involving all aspects of real property tenures and rights.
Ms. Yip has spoken and written extensively on strata properties, the development of university lands, the development and structuring of leasehold lands and sustainable communities and Chinese real estate investment. She received a BA in Political Science from the University of British Columbia (1984) and an LLB from the University of Toronto (1987). Ms. Yip is fluent in Cantonese and reads and writes Chinese.
Ms. Yip’s volunteering experience includes mentoring of young lawyers and membership in the Canadian Bar Association’s Business of Law Committee. She is a Member-at-Large of the 2015/2016 Executive Committee of Lambda Alpha International, Vancouver Chapter.