In her practice, Ms. Yip works regularly with owners, developers, lenders, borrowers and landlords dealing with all facets of commercial property. She has been extensively involved in acquisitions and sales, development, rezoning and permit approvals, commercial leasing, real estate financing and clean power projects.
Ms. Yip has spoken and written extensively on land assemblies, strata properties, the development and structuring of leasehold lands, sustainable communities and Chinese real estate investment.
She received a BA in Political Science from the University of British Columbia (1984) and an LLB from the University of Toronto (1987). Ms. Yip is fluent in Cantonese and reads and writes Chinese.
Ms. Yip is recognized by Best Lawyers as a leading lawyer in the practice area of Commercial Leasing Law.
Ms. Yip’s volunteering experience includes mentoring of young lawyers and real estate professionals membership in the Canadian Bar Association’s Business of Law Committee. She served on the Executive Committee of Lambda Alpha International, Vancouver Chapter.
* Law Corporation
- Acting for the master developer of the UniverCity Community at Simon Fraser University, an award-winning sustainable community as well as other university trusts in British Columbia;
- Acting for purchasers and vendors of development sites, including land assemblies;
- Acting for purchasers of strata lots under cancelled strata plans;
- Development of different types of projects including:
• master-planned communities
• shopping centres
• office buildings
• office parks
• resort properties
• educational, recreational and other non-profit institutions, such as universities, schools, daycares and parks
- Acting for major developers of condominium projects, including phased and mixed-use (including airspace) projects;
- Extensive dealings with many local governments in British Columbia, including urban and rural communities. Ms. Yip is experienced in the rezoning and approval process and has good relationships with staff in many municipalities. She regularly advises clients on problem-solving with local governments;
- Acting for borrowers in acquisitions, take-out and construction financings;
- Acting for commercial lenders in various lending transactions;
- Acting for commercial landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of leases;
- Acting for national U.S. timeshare operators in registration, compliance and acquisitions;
- Involvement with the acquisition, development and financing of renewal power projects including run of river, wind and biomass, involving all aspects of real property tenures and rights; and
- Acting for the purchasers of major hotels.