Ms. Bahadoorsingh’s practice is focused on real estate finance, commercial lending, secured transactions and real estate acquisitions and dispositions. She also practises general corporate/commercial law, including buying and selling of businesses, professional incorporations and business succession planning.
Ms. Bahadoorsingh has spoken and written extensively on secured transactions in Canada. She co-authored a chapter in an International Bar Association publication entitled, “Remedies Under Security Interests in Canada: An Overview” (2002). She was a contributing author to the British Columbia Personal Property Security Act Practice Manual, published by CLEBC, for over 17 years.
Ms. Bahadoorsingh received the Dorothy A. Dilworth Memorial Prize & Shield for “Most Outstanding Female Graduate” from the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business in 1990, from where she obtained a Bachelor of Commerce (Urban Land Economics), with Honours; she received an LLB from UBC in 1994, after studying international law in a study-abroad exchange program at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
The Vancouver Sun included Ms. Bahadoorsingh in their “Ones to Watch” feature in its January 3, 2003 edition. Best Lawyers recognized Ms. Bahadoorsingh as one of Canada’s top Banking & Finance lawyers in its 2020 and 2021 editions. Ms. Bahadoorsingh is a Director of the West Vancouver Memorial Library Foundation and the Trinidad & Tobago Cultural Society of B.C.. She is a past Chair of the Banking Law Subsection of the B.C. Branch of the Canadian Bar Association, as well as a former Director of the Association of Women in Finance. Her many volunteer activities have included serving as a Trustee of the West Vancouver Memorial Library from 2013 to 2017.
Prior to joining Terra Law, Ms. Bahadoorsingh practiced at a well-established mid-sized Vancouver law firm for 4 years, followed by 15 years at a leading national law firm.
- Acting as counsel for banks, institutional lenders, financial intermediaries and borrowers in all areas of lending, including acquisition & construction finance, real estate refinance, asset-based lending, CMBS financing and project finance;
- Advising purchasers and vendors of commercial and investment properties, including shopping centres, hotels and apartment buildings;
- Preparing standard form financing documents for private lenders, equipment financiers and automobile lessors;
- Representing a major U.S. lender with respect to several golf course and hotel financings in British Columbia and Alberta; and
- Counsel to a U.S. railroad company which bought, financed and sold several short-line railways in Canada.